I am a bookworm. My childhood hero was the eponymous character of Roald Dahl’s Matilda. She loved books, she had super powers, and she had a sense of justice — she was my hero.
But I digress.
Despite my love of books, I’m not one of those bibliophiles that MUST have a physical book (not that there’s anything wrong with that!). Yes, I love the smell of new books and the feel of them in my hands, but sometimes the books get too heavy (I’ve dropped enough books on my face while reading in bed), or the smells get overwhelming, or sometimes I just want to be able to carry a clutch AND have my book with me.
If you are like me and you
- Love books
- Love the selection that the library offers
- Find the hygiene of library books somewhat worrying (Have you ever thought about where they’ve been?! No? Where do you bring them?)
- Have an iPhone or android device (or both)
Then you should check out Overdrive Media Console. All you need is an adobe account and a membership to a library with a decent ebook selection.
What is this Overdrive thingamajig?
Overdrive is basically the goto app that libraries use for their ebook lending collection. It allows users to download library books and read them on whatever device their have. You can save your library on the app itself so the lending collection is easily accessible. I could go on and on but I’d just lose you…
so here’s a handy list of reasons why I love Overdrive:
- I can use it across platforms. As an Android and iOS geek, I’m forever toting around an iPad, an iPhone and my android wherever I go and I like that I can access my ebook regardless of which device I happen to have with me.
- Overdrive One. This is one of their newer features that is just so friggin cool. It’s basically a feature that saves your last read page on a cloud of sorts. So I can read till The third paragraph of Chapter 3 on my Android, then resume from the exact same page on my iPad. How friggin cool is that? I’ve been using this app for years and dreaming of this feature for even longer. Completely psyched to have it now. Psyched!!
- No fines. The local library has made quite a fortune from my fines over the years. Now that’s a thing of the past. ‘Nuf said.
- Books are definitely free seeing as they’re from a library and all.
There’s only one reason why Overdrive isn’t the answer to all my reading needs:
- It still hurts when my iPad falls on my face while I’m reading. Worse, in fact, than a book!
Other features that may tempt you to try this app:
- Page change with volume keys
- User can adjust the line spacing
- User-determined fonts (face and size)
- User-controlled margins
- Sharing function (Email, Facebook, Goodreads)